What causes Slow Downloading and Browsing Speeds in Windows 7 ?
Are you getting very slow download speed on your newly installed Windows 7 computer? Then you will love to hear that there are various easy solutions available to fix windows 7 slow internet speed with some little tweaks. Absolutely you don't need to get angry with me as these tweaks are not very complicated ones. So only you need is to configure some connection settings that suitable to your internet connection type such as DSL, TV Cable, Mobile Internet or Dialup modem.
So you can optimize your network connection to archive a better downloading and browsing performance on your windows 7 PC. Now it's time to stop my boring introduction and begin our work. In the following few paragraphs, you'll see 5 methods to speed up your slow internet. Read them carefully and follow its easy tips correctly. Then you'll end up with having your Windows 7 slow Internet speed faster than ever before. If you find my guide useful, please don't forget to bookmark or rate it. Let's begin.
Fix Windows 7 Slow Internet Issue with Registry Tweaker ?
If you need to quickly speed up your Windows 7 Slow Internet without manually doing following 4 tweaks, then RegTweaker is for you. There is a special module in this tool named "Internet Optimizer" and It completely fixes registry errors related to network communications in order to give you an instant performance boost in internet speed. If you're a beginner to modifying windows system registry, I highly recommend you to use this tool to prevent any damage for your OS. Ok! Here are the steps.
In order to Improve Windows 7 Internet Speed within Minutes .:
- Download RegTweaker and Install it on your PC.
- Run the program and choose Internet Optimizer in Optimizer section.
- Choose your internet connection mode.
- Uncheck the box named Increase the Detection Ability of IE and click Optimize button.
Invalid Configuration will cause Slow Internet Performance in W7
Invalid configuration in windows system registry will cause this problem frequently. So you can try following few adjustments in your registry to improve internet speed on your Windows 7 computer. Please note that following steps will change the values in various registry entries related to network connections. If you can't remember them, I highly recommend you to use appropriate utility software like RegTweaker free edition to backup your registry.
Reset TCP/IP Configuration .:
Search for cmd.exe and open command prompt with administrator privilege (Run As Administrator).
Then type following two lines and hit enter.
netsh int ip reset C:\netsh.log.txt
netsh winsock reset
Now it will reset all your network settings into defaults.
Disable TCP Auto-tuning .:
Like before, search for cmd.exe and open command prompt with administrator privilege (Run as Administrator). Then type line and hit enter.
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
If it doesn't make any optimization in your internet download speed, type following code to turn it back on.
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal
Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag .:
Since Windows 7 can't find an IP address from several non-Microsoft DHCP servers, it will cause your internet browser to load web pages at a very slow speed. So you need to disable this option using Windows registry editor.
To disable the DHCP option in Windows 7 .:
- Type view network connections in program search box located in the bottom of start menu and open the program.
- Then choose and right click your default internet connection and select properties.
- In networking tab, click properties of internet protocol version 6(TCP/IPv6) and you will see a general configuration window.
- Now choose both Use the following IPv6 address option and Use the following DNS server addresses option and enter the static IP address mentioned in your router manual into both IPv6 Address and Preferred DNS Server fields. Probably you can find your IP address since they mention it as default IP gateway or something similar to it.
- Now do the same on internet protocol version 4(TCP/IPv4) and complete the task.
By applying these settings you can disable DHCP in your chosen connection.
Now try to connect to the internet with your default browser. If you still have the Windows 7 slow internet speed try disabling IPv6 protocol.
Disable IPv6 on Windows 7
Open the same network connections window and choose your default network adapter to view its properties. Choose Networking tab and uncheck the box called Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) or completely uninstall it from your computer. Finally open Device Manager and remove or disable any other tunnel, miniport IPv6 adapters.
Disable Windows Firewall or Router Firewall .:
Sometimes the Windows 7 firewall crashes with the built-in firewall program on you router. So you can turn off one of them to speed up your internet connection.
To turn off windows firewall .:
Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall and click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off. Turn it off and hit Ok.Please refer your router manual to turn off your routers built-in firewall or just Google it.
Back-up Windows Registry .:
Outdated or Non-compatible Hardware and Drivers .:
Use Latest Device Driver Software's to Improve Windows 7 Slow Internet Speeds .:
- Device driver is the interface that joins hardware resources with various software applications. Sometimes your internet connecting device (USB modem, Satellite Receiver module etc.) will need to be used with updated driver software in order to work on Windows 7. Otherwise it will cause very slow internet experience on your Windows PC. Therefore simply download and install latest driver software's for your connecting devices from its manufacturer's website in order to solve this problem.
Non-Compatible Hardware Problems .:
- Not all old modems and other related connecting devices work well with Microsoft Windows 7. Unfortunately, there is no way to solve this problem. So you need to use a latest modem that compatible with Windows 7. Before doing this, please confirm that your device is not compatible with your operating system using hardware manufacturer's website. After that you can perform the upgrade.
Checking for Any Possible Communication Faults .:
For Wired Connections .:
- If you're using a DSL or TV cable line to connect to the internet, please make sure that there isn't any physical damage with your cable.
- If you're using a dialup connection over a telephone line you can have a maximum of 56Kbps speed. But as a result of high network usage load, normally you'll only get a speed at about 30Kbps. Also remember that Kbps is stands for "Kilo Bits per Second" and not about "kilo bytes". Since 1 KB (kilo byte) is equivalent to 8 bits, you can have up to 7 Kbps of internet speed on your windows 7 computer. Compared to internet connections like DSL and mobile broadband, Dialup connections are very slow and have loads of connection faults. So you need to consider using different internet connection to fix and speed up slow internet speeds. You can also use Fiber Optic Service (FiOS) to have high speed download and upload connections. Contact your network operator for additional information about FiOS services.
For Wireless Internet Connections .:
- If you're using a HSDPA mobile internet dongle for connect to internet, make sure that you've installed the latest driver software for Windows 7. Otherwise it will provide a poor performance in data transfer.
- If you're using a satellite connection, consider checking your signal strength. You need a good satellite reception to have a faster internet download speeds.
Browser Based Problems .:
Unwanted Add-On’s and Plugins .:
Using too many plugins or add-ons on your internet browser will make it difficult to perform instant page loads on your windows PC. Therefore you can try disabling these unnecessary plug-ins and add-ons to gain better browsing and downloading speed.
To turn off add-ons on Firefox .:
Go to Tools > Add-ons and disable both unwanted add-ons and plugins and restart Firefox to take effect.
To turn off Internet Explorer add-ons .:
Go to Tools > Manage Add-ons and disable unwanted add-ons and restart IE to take effect.
For other browsers you’ll find similar one to add-ons and disable unnecessary ones of them.
Antivirus Security Plugins .:
Many antivirus programs install a web antivirus module to help protect your computer from possible threats and malicious URLs. So you can reduce these protection levels into normal to have better internet browsing speed on your Windows 7 computer. There are various programs like Site Adviser, URL Adviser, Anti-banner and Anti-Phishing that automatically intergrades with your web browser. Choose a good one and disable other programs.